THE body has a self-healing mechanism, which is maintained through the consumption of simple, natural foods. The benefits of eating foods rich with nutrients have been carefully documented for many years.
In the 1700s, scurvy, which is also known as a vitamin C deficiency disease, claimed the lives of several sailors, until James Lind discovered that lemon juice was a cure for this disease.
As a naturopathic practitioner I will share some of the ways I have used lemon juice over the years, many of which are ancient Maroon formulas that I learnt along the way. I also depended on the knowledge that an average-sized lemon will contain phosphorous, sodium, calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and iron, needed for cellular nutrition that will produce healthy teeth, bones, blood, and other tissues.
A primary ingredient in our cleansing diet is lemon and this has helped us to successfully treat serious illnesses such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, arthritis, allergies, anaemia, depression, senility, high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, and other circulatory disorders. It has also assisted people withdrawing from drug addiction, caffeine, nicotine, marijuana, sugar, and other narcotics.
My Maroon mother insisted that I give my babies diluted lemon or orange juice as soon as they were two weeks old. As they got older they were instructed to eat at least six oranges every day. They never had colds or flu. And I will always remember the lemon juice bath that we administered to my son who had an unexplained fever for more than six days.
1. Diabetes: The dried citrus peel may be added to your diabetic formula, which will assist in balancing blood sugar levels.
2. Digestive disorders: Lemon peel will improve digestion and also get rid of mucous in the abdomen. It will also counteract abdominal swelling.
3. Gallstone: Equal parts of lemon juice and olive oil are to be consumed during a day of juice fast. There is a special drop-and-roll exercise that should accompany this procedure.
4. Colds, fever, flu, asthma, tuberculosis, and other respiratory illness: Drinking up to three lemons per day is effective in destroying virus, bacteria and fungus. It is one lemon to one glass of water. Lemon with salt or honey is also an effective remedy for colds and flu.
There is one sure way of knocking the flu for six and this is with a juice we call the Citrus Punch. All you need is an orange, a lime, a lemon, a grapefruit, two pegs of garlic, one stalk escallion, 1/2 of an onion, and up to four bird peppers. Blend the ingredients. The gut of the citrus is also to be added to the mixture.
5. Sore throat: Gargle honey or salt with lemon juice.
6. Constipation or detox: A glass of lemon juice is said to cleanse fat from the blood, detoxifies the body of free radicals (toxins formed from the oxidation of fats), promote bowel activity, and reduce the toxicity of heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic. The cleansing effect of lemon reduces hiccough, biliousness, ‘gas’, and general bellyache.
7. Abscess, ‘boil’, ‘corn’: A slice of lemon tied to the affected area overnight will greatly relieve the pain and bring pus to the surface where it can be easily removed.
8. Liver complaints: Lemon juice should be taken in a glass of hot water one hour before breakfast every morning to stimulate the liver and encourage the body to release uric acid and other poison as well as remove the symptoms of jaundice.
9. Ulcerated stomach: The question often asked, ‘How can one take lemon juice with an inflamed or ulcerated stomach, wouldn’t a strong acid like this irritate the stomach?’ The natural stomach acids are four times stronger than the acid found in lemon, so you can drink one lemon diluted in a glass of water which is very healing for stomach ulcers.
10. Uterine haemorrhages: Dilute lemon juice and it should be taken as cold as possible. This will stop the abnormal bleeding.
11. Male infertility: There are scientific studies that confirm that vitamin C will increase fertility. At the Healthy Living Herbal clinic our male clients are placed on our lemon cleansing diet to correct infertility even though most men erroneously believe that sour things decrease libido.
12. Sleeping disorders: Drunk alone or in a glass of molasses or honey, the nutrients found in lemon will help in the metabolism of tryptophan, a brain chemical responsible for the sleep and wake cycle.
14. Stress and thyroid hormone: Lemon oil or teas from the skin will stimulate the adrenal function to release epinephrine and norepinephrine as well as thyroid hormone, while the lemon juice will nourish the brain and nerve cells.
15: High blood pressure: A lemon or lime squeezed in a young coconut water.
16. Macca or thistle is used to remove elements from the flesh.
17. Eye treatment for cyst, cataract and glaucoma formation: Drop lemon juice In the eye.
18. Lemon may be applied to sunburn, sore and skin irritation.
WHEN SHOULD YOU CONSUME MORE LEMONS? IF:
* There is a wound that takes a longer time than ususal to heal.
* There is easy bruising.
* There is clotting or blood clots in or under the skin.
* You experience general weakness.
* You experience loss of appetite.
* You experience poor digestion or unexplained loss of weight.
* You experience chest burns.
* You experience nose bleed.
* You have sore and bleeding gum.
* You have loose teeth.
* You have anaemia.
* You experience joint tenderness and swelling.
* You experience shortness of breath.
We greatly encourage, when lemon is in season, that you drink plenty of lime or lemonade. Use lemon juice to replace vinegar in most recipes, and use the grated lemon rind to add flavour to your pastries.
Here are a few more wonders about the lemon:
* It removes ink stain, fruit stain, iron rust.
* It keeps hands soft.
* It stops the pot from boiling over.
There is no law against you being your own doctor and creating medicine for your healing. Please be reminded that this single article provides useful information that is intended to be a guide to your healing programme. Always remember that healthy living is a lifestyle.
Maureen Minto is the chief naturopathic consultant at the Healthy Living Herbal Clinic and president of the Caribbean Natural Remedies Association. Contact her at 940-1197 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.